We went for a large ham this year, (well, that was part of the reason, the main reason is, there weren't many hams left in the supermarket), I like to freeze the leftovers and use them through the year.
I make a ham every year for Christmas dinner, I like to try various flavours and glazes, I went for a Scottish themed flavoured glaze this year, infusing two traditional Scottish drinks together, Whisky and Irn Bru.
4.8 kg bone in half leg ham
For the glaze
1 Tbsp honey
2 tbsp Irn Bru
1 Tbsp Whisky
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
Method
1. Remove ham from fridge 1 hour before cooking.
2. Preheat oven to 160° C fan forced. Mix all glaze ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
3. Using a small sharp knife, cut around ham rind, 8cm from shank end. Starting at the opposite end to the shank, run your thumb under the rind to separate it from the fat. Peel back and discard the rind. Wrap shank end in tinfoil, then place ham in a large roasting pan. Add a 1/4 cup water to pan.
4. Gently score the fat in diamond shapes, don't cut down to the meat, insert a clove at each cross of the diamond shape.
5. Brush with glaze, bake for 40 minutes per kilo, basting every 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, cover with foil and rest for 15 minutes before slicing.






Comments
Post a Comment