Skip to main content

Slow Cook Guinness Lamb Shanks

As it was St. Patrick's Day and there was a can of Guinness left over from Christmas, I decided to make something with the Guinness. I love slow cooked lamb shanks but have never tried them cooked with Guinness so this was decided for tonight's tea, as I was only cooking these for 2 people, I only used 2 shanks, readjust ingredients for more people.


Ingredients

2 lamb shanks
1 tbsp flour (seasoned with salt & pepper)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 med carrots, diced
200 g pumpkin, diced (I used kent pumpkin)
1 garlic clove, finely sliced
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 small bay leaf
1 cup beef stock
1 cup Guinness

Method

1. Lightly coat the lamb shanks with the seasoned flour, reserving the left over flour for later use.

2. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over a med-high heat. Add the lamb and cook until browned all over, turning often. Transfer to slow cooker.

3. Reduce heat to medium and add carrots, onion and pumpkin. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened, stirring often. Add garlic, thyme, bay leaf and remaining flour, cook for another minute. Add the Guinness and stock and stir through, season with a little salt and pepper.

4. Pour over the lamb. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until lamb is tender.

5. Serve with mash and a cold glass of Guinness.



Comments