Skip to main content

Creating Our Cacti & Succulent Garden Beds

I absolutely LOVE cacti and succulents, they remind me so much of Palm Springs, and as we were concentrating on a "Palm Springs" look for our backyard makeover it seemed fitting to include a garden bed filled with a variety of succulents and cacti.

We didn't want to loose the space we had by building garden beds so we decided to turn the seating area around the outside of the pool into garden beds and add another bed to the side of the spa to even it up.

Before.


9th August 2020, Scott started by constructing a raised garden bed by the side of the spa using timber he had lying around, we filled it with things that was going to the tip, old bricks, blocks etc, then added some well draining course gritty stuff then put cacti and succulent potting mix on top before replanting the cacti and succulents.



I started planting on the weekend of Saturday 29th which was a beautiful calm day, but then by Sunday afternoon it started to get was really blustery, so Scott made a makeshift wind protector for the plants I had already planted as I was worried they might get damaged by the severe winds.
                                                                                     


We decided that we needed more garden beds so 1st September 2020 Scott removed the rest of the seating area and constructed more beds.




It took a while for the earth to settle into place, in hindsight I should have let it settle before planting because it sank quite a bit so some of the plants are no longer at the level I had planted them.













Once the soil had finally settled we finished it off with more pot topper.




They certainly seem to be thriving!


These updated photos were taken on Sunday 7th February 2021, just look how much they have grown!!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aussie Pie Floater

With Australia day fast approaching, I had to share this Aussie icon. The pie floater is a meat pie submerged in thick pea soup, the pies are traditionally turned upside down sitting or sometimes submerged in the pea soup. The first time I had ever heard of this was while watching an episode of Billy Connolly's Australian tour. He was doing a show in Adelaide and indulged in one of these south Aussie icons. We tried a similar thing called a tiger pie from Harry's Cafe de Wheels on the Sydney harbour, the Tiger is a meat pie served with scoop of mash a scoop of mushy peas and a scoop of gravy, it was really delicious.  A pie floater put simply is a meat pie on top of or covered in green pea soup with a choice of sauce squirted on top, the usual being ketchup, brown sauce, mint sauce, gravy or bbq sauce, some people also enjoy vinegar over their floater, I suppose the options can be endless, whatever 'floats' your pie!!. I searched a few variou...

Hickory-Honey Ham...Christmas With The Kranks

  I got this Christmas movie cookbook during our 2022 holiday to LA see  here  and I still haven't made anything from it, so for our Christmas in July, I thought I would try the Hickory-Honey ham from the movie Christmas with The Kranks. Scenes from the movie where Nora is running towards the last ham in the store, only to be outsmarted by an elderly lady. I managed to get a couple of reduced shoulder hams from woolies back in May so this gave me an excuse to try a recipe from the book. We also got some Hickory smoking chips for the BBQ. It is a ham that has been smoked over Hickory wood chips for several hours, served with a honey gravy, not out of a tin which it is in the movie. Ingredients 8 cups hickory or other hardwood chips 2 large aluminum foil pans 1 (4kg) fully cooked  bone in ham 1/4 cup salted butter 1 shallot, minced 1/3 cup honey 1/4 cup dark brown sugar 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard 1 tsp ground ginger 1/...

Wha's Like Us?....Damn Few And They're A' Deid!

While sorting through things I came across this Scottish poem that my mum gave me years ago, my gran loved this one...so here it is.... Wha's Like Us ? The average Englishman in the home he calls his castle, slips into his national costume ---- a shabby raincoat...patented by.... ...Chemist Charles Macintosh from Glasgow, Scotland. En route to his office he strides along the English lane, surfaced by.... ...John Macadam from Ayr, Scotland. He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by.... ...John Boyd Dunlop, Veterinary Surgeon of Dreghorn, Scotland. At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by.... ...John Chalmers, Bookseller and Printer of Dundee, Scotland. During the day he uses the telephone invented by.... ...Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland. At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by.... ...Kirkpatrick Macmillan, Blacksmith of Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. He watches ...