Bubble and Squeak

bubble-squeak

Bubble and Squeak is a delicious dish traditionally made from leftover vegetables from dinner the night before. The typical ingredients are potatoes and cabbage, but any other leftover veg can be thrown in to give more variety in flavour. This was a firm favourite in our house when we were growing up, one of my dad's favourite but he enjoyed any kind of leftovers. 😋
My mum recently sent me through some handwritten recipes, ( I absolutely adore handwritten recipes ) and one of them was her bubble and squeak so the other day when I had some leftover mashed potatoes and cabbage I knew what to make for tea.

How awesome is this 👍

Instead of bacon fat I used olive oil and I also added some chopped chives.

 Method

Mix together equal quantities of mashed potatoes and roughly chopped cabbage, season with salt and pepper. Heat some oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add mixture to pan and flatten down, cook gently until browned, carefully turn and cook other side, making sure both sides are browned and heated through. Serve as a main or side dish.

Simple yet tasty, even my fussy eater ate it 👌

Comments

Popular Posts